Through talking to a lot of people interested in serverless, I find that the single biggest problem we face is the lack of understanding of how existing operational best practices translate to serverless, and how do we make our serverless applications operationally ready for production.
Whilst there are plenty of materials out there to help get you started working with AWS Lambda, there is very little structured content on helping you tackle the operational challenges when using AWS Lambda at scale.
The purpose of this workshop is to fill that gap and provide a holistic view of the challenges you will face as you start to build an expansive serverless architecture, as well as some solutions for tackling them.
This two-day workshop would cover the following topics:
- AWS Lambda 101
- Serverless framework 101
- Building APIs with API Gateway and Lambda
- Securing APIs with IAM authorization
- Cognito 101
- Securing APIs with Cognito User Pools
- API Gateway best practices
- Writing integration tests for Lambda
- Writing acceptance tests for Lambda
- Setting up CI/CD pipeline with CodePipeline and CodeBuild
- Configuring functions with SSM Parameter Store
- Project organization
- Processing events in realtime with Kinesis and Lambda
- Dealing with partial failures in Kinesis
- Kinesis best practices
- Per-function IAM roles
- Setting up log aggregation for Lambda functions
- Structured logging
- Sample debug logs in production
- Distributed tracing with X-Ray
- Capture and forward correlation IDs
Workshop audience and size
I usually get a mix of developers, security specialists, testers and technology managers. I tailor the pace and depth of the course according to the level of competency and experience of the audience. This often entails working one-on-one with some participants whilst setting stretch goals for others. Ultimately, everyone gets the opportunity to learn something new and challenge themselves.
The workshop is best for an audience of 10-20 students.
All materials used in the workshop are handed over after the workshop and you are welcome to repeat the exercises yourself.
This workshop is also available in public, you can find me at the following locations in 2020:
- Amsterdam, March 19-20th
- Helsinki, May 4-5th
- Stockholm, May 14-15th
- Dublin, June 16-17th
- London, September 24-25th
- Berlin, October 8-9th