It’s taken days to put my new dev machine together, but totally worth it!
My old Core2Duo had a meagre Window Experience Index (WEI) of 4.5:
The new system, with the help of a 120GB Corsair Force 3 GT SSD achieved a bumper 7.9 on both HD and RAM performance! Overall, I’m only let down by my very reasonably prized duo-DVI NVIDIA graphics card, but a WEI of 6.7 still represents a massive improvement. Visual Studio now loads in the blink of an eye! :-D
After much research and consideration, I opted for the NZXT Phantom full tower, which is a little bigger than what I’m used to (I usually go for mid-towers). It looks great on the outside and is very spacious on the inside, so plenty of room to work with..
The case has pretty good air flow (with 7-fan cooling including an optional slot for a 200mm fan on the side) and one of the really nice things I like about this case are the fan controls at the top of the case (see picture below):
And once my LG 24" monitor arrives I will finally hit the 3-screen sweet spot as suggested by Mr Hansleman, exciting times!
I specialise in rapidly transitioning teams to serverless and building production-ready services on AWS.
Are you struggling with serverless or need guidance on best practices? Do you want someone to review your architecture and help you avoid costly mistakes down the line? Whatever the case, I’m here to help.
Check out my new course, Complete Guide to AWS Step Functions. In this course, we’ll cover everything you need to know to use AWS Step Functions service effectively. Including basic concepts, HTTP and event triggers, activities, callbacks, nested workflows, design patterns and best practices.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong