Description for today’s challenge is here.
First, let’s define the 6 instructions on the computer:
and parse the input file (see example below) into the DU type above
jio a, +16
Then we add a function to iterate through the instructions, a simple (tail) recursive loop function would do the trick. The below should be pretty self-explanatory, two tricky things to keep in mind:
- that jio stood for “jump if one” rather than the more intuitive “jump if odd” given that jie is “jump if even”…
- the problem specifies the register value to be non-negative, and just in case we’ll overflow, use an unsigned long
and all that’s left is to call the function with the instructions we have parsed from the input and ask for the value of the b register at the end.
For Part 2, we just need to change the initial register values we pass into the loop:
Enjoy what you’re reading? Subscribe to my newsletter and get more content on AWS and serverless technologies delivered straight to your inbox.
I’m an AWS Serverless Hero and the author of Production-Ready Serverless. I have run production workload at scale in AWS for nearly 10 years and I have been an architect or principal engineer with a variety of industries ranging from banking, e-commerce, sports streaming to mobile gaming. I currently work as an independent consultant focused on AWS and serverless.
In this course, we’ll cover everything you need to know to use AWS Step Functions service effectively. Including basic concepts, HTTP and event triggers, activities, design patterns and best practices.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong