Hi, welcome to another weekly update.
AWS Lambda and Secret Management. In this post I gave a lowdown on SSM Parameter Store, AWS Secrets Manager and HashiCorp Vault. We discussed when, why and how to choose between them and several approaches to loading secrets into your functions.
Real World DevOps. I spoke with Mike Julian on a range of topics including serverless vs FaaS, common pitfalls in serverless and why businesses should consider adopting serverless.
Think FaaS. I spoke with Forrest Brazeal on running serverless in production, my course with Manning and some of the mistakes I see people make when adopting serverless.
I was at ServerlessDays Hamburg this week and delivered the opening keynote. In this talk we debunked some common myths and misunderstandings about serverless – cold starts, cost, control vs responsibility and vendor lock-in. The slides are available on slideshare.
And here’s some summaries of my talk, courtesy of @clairikine and @berndruecker!
— Clairikine ?? (@clairikine) February 15, 2019
Now @theburningmonk just kicked of @ServerlessHAM by debunking myths of serverless: you always lived with random latencies – cold starts are not that bad. You need to calculate TCO – not only look at your AWS bill. Control comes with responsibility and a price tag. Great talk! pic.twitter.com/idZS2NmFL0
— Bernd Ruecker (@berndruecker) February 15, 2019
I’m an AWS Serverless Hero and the author of Production-Ready Serverless. I have run production workload at scale in AWS for nearly 10 years and I have been an architect or principal engineer with a variety of industries ranging from banking, e-commerce, sports streaming to mobile gaming. I currently work as an independent consultant focused on AWS and serverless.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong