By the end of the workshop, you should have a clear idea when serverless is a good fit for your system and common pitfalls to avoid.
It’s really easy to get started with serverless and to ship something to AWS. And there is plenty of content out there that help you do just that. But many people struggle with going beyond that and understand the long-term implications of their architectural decisions. Even if you’re already running serverless applications in production, are you still struggle with common challenges such as:
- How do I run my Lambda functions locally?
- How do I test them?
- What’s the best way to secure my CI/CD pipeline and not leave administrator roles around?
- How do I monitor my application and debug problems quickly when they arise in production (when I’ll be under immense time pressure)?
You are not alone in struggling to answer these questions.
Because the reality is, serverless is a very different paradigm to how we’re used to building systems.
What has got us here won’t help us get to where we want to be in the world of serverless. We need to understand how the platform really works, and how to choose between the different services AWS has to offer.
And there’s no better way to learn than to get your hands dirty and build something yourself. In this workshop, you will follow along with my instructions and build a web application step-by-step. Along the way you will learn how to:
- implement server-side rendering
- authenticate users with Cognito
- securing internal APIs
- testing strategies for serverless
- CI/CD best practices
- manage application configurations
- security best practices
- logging best practices
- monitoring & alerting best practices
- implement distributed tracing and capture correlation IDs
Attended by students from these companies
What you will learn
How to build a REST API
Learn how to build scalable REST APIs using API Gateway, Lambda and DynamoDB from scratch using Node.js and the Serverless framework.
Learn how to build and deploy serverless applications using the Serverless framework, the most popular deployment framework for AWS Lambda.
How to test Serverless applications
Learn how to run and debug Lambda functions locally, and how to write integration and end-to-end acceptance tests.
How to set up a CI/CD pipeline
Learn how to set up CI/CD pipelines to continuously test and deploy serverless applications, and security best practices for CI/CD pipelines.
How to build event-driven architectures
Learn how to build an event-driven architecture with EventBridge and Lambda, and how to choose between SNS, SQS, EventBridge and Kinesis.
Observability best practices
Learn how to make it debug problems in production by building observability into your serverless applications from the start.
Security best practices
Learn how to handle application secrets securely, and which authentication method you should use with API Gateway under different circumstances.
Learn how to optimize the cost of your Lambda functions and what costly architecture mistakes you need to avoid before it’s too late.
What you will build
You will build an e-commerce website that lets you browse and order food from fictional restaurants from popular TV shows. Along the way, you’ll learn how to build a production-ready serverless application by getting your hands dirty and building something from scratch.
You will build a simple server side rendered landing page, which allows users to register/sign in/sign out, search restaurants and place orders.
Registration with Cognito
You will build client-side integration with Cognito User Pool to support registration (with verification code) as well as sign-in and sign-out flows.
You will build a REST API using API Gateway, Lambda and DynamoDB, and explore different authentication methods (Cognito and AWS_IAM).
Order processing flow
You will build an order processing flow with an event-driven approach, using EventBridge as the event bus and Lambda to process events in real-time.
Intensive 2-day workshop, either in-person or online. Also available as in-house training. This option is great for individual developers or entire teams to up-skill quickly and minimize the disruption to your work schedule. You can get up-to-speed with serverless in just 2 days and start applying what you learnt right away.
4-week online course, study at your own pace, with weekly live Q&A sessions. The lectures and exercises are released every Monday, and you can complete them in your own time and get help from the instructor and fellow students on Discord. You can also get your burning questions answered at the weekly Q&As.
Self-paced workshop, starting September 1st
The class takes place over 4 weeks, with an average commitment of 4 to 5 hours per week.
Each week will follow this schedule:
- Monday: Lectures and learning exercise released via video link shared on our Discord server, and via email. You’ll be sent a link to the pre-recorded lectures within the Senzo platform.
- All week: Peer chat and exercise sharing via Discord server with the instructor and your class group.
- Following Monday 11am and again at 11pm CET: Live Q&A sessions (~1 hour) with the instructor to recap the week. The link will be shared on Discord & via email; this will be a private stream.
All materials will be permanently available on the Senzo platform.
SPECIAL OFFER: get 15% OFF with the promo code “yanprs15” during checkout.
Instructor-led workshop, October 8th-9th
The is a 2-day, instructor-led workshop conducted through Zoom.
Both days would start at 9:00 am CEST and finish at 5:00 pm CEST, with 1-hour lunch break plus regular 15-minute breaks throughout the day.
- 09:00 – Introductions
- 09:05 – AWS Lambda 101
- 09:45 – Serverless framework 101
- 10:15 – Break
- 10:30 – Building APIs with API Gateway and Lambda
- 11:00 – Securing APIs with IAM authorization
- 11:20 – Cognito 101
- 11:30 – Securing APIs with Cognito User Pools
- 12:00 – Lunch
- 13:00 – API Gateway best practices
- 13:20 – Writing integration tests for Lambda
- 14:10 – Writing acceptance tests for Lambda
- 14:30 – Break
- 14:45 – Setting up CI/CD pipelines
- 15: 00 – CI/CD security best practice
- 15:20 – Break
- 15:35 – Configuration management with SSM Parameter Store
- 16:00 – How best to secure credentials & API keys
- 16:30 – Day 1 wrap up + open questions
- 09:00 – Project organization
- 09:20 – Processing events in realtime with Lambda
- 10:15 – How to choose the right application integration service
- 10:30 – Break
- 10:45 – SNS vs SQS vs Kinesis vs EventBridge
- 11:00 – Error handling for realtime event processing systems
- 11:15 – Per-function IAM roles
- 11:40 – Setting up log aggregation for Lambda functions
- 12:00 – Lunch
- 13:00 – Structured logging
- 13:30 – Sample debug logs in production
- 14:00 – Break
- 14:10 – Distributed tracing with X-Ray
- 15:00 – Capture and forward correlation IDs
- 15:30 – Break
- 15:50 – Alerts you should have
- 16:15 – Right-sizing function memories
- 16:30 – Day 2 wrap up + open questions
There will be no more than 6 hours of actual screen time each day.
All materials (including the recordings of the 2 days) will be permanently available to you afterwards.
SPECIAL OFFER: get 15% OFF with the promo code “yanprs15” during checkout.
Need to quickly upskill your team?
You can also book me to run this workshop as in-house training in your company. There are many benefits to this:
- Workshop tickets are cheaper per person.
- We can be more flexible on the dates. I will do my best to accommodate your schedule.
- During the 2 days, we can discuss topics that are specific to your company and project(s).
- We can tailor the curriculum of the workshop (within reasons) to make it even more valuable for you.
Sounds interesting? Let’s schedule a call to talk about how we can make this the best training experience for you and your teams.
I assume you have some basic understanding of AWS, knows how to navigate your way around the AWS console. Experience with Lambda, CloudFormation and other relevant services would be a great help, but those will be covered in the introductory section of this workshop.
Yes! All the code and lecture materials will be available to you after the workshop, forever. This applies to both instructor-led as well as self-paced workshops.
I picked the technologies used in this workshop based on my experience, how well they work together and their adoption in the wider community to make the workshop relevant to as many of you as possible.
However, most of what you will learn in this workshop is applicable to other tools that you might use as well. For example, if you use different programming language, or deployment framework (SAM, CDK, Terraform, etc.). The important concepts and patterns that you will learn from this workshop are applicable to all of them.
And, if you have questions about how to adapt these ideas to your technology of choice, you can always bring them up during the workshop! I have worked with a wide range of different technologies and might be able to give you advice on how best to apply these ideas to your specific toolchain.
Yes! I have trained many engineers with production experience of serverless technologies and helped raise their game and help them make better architectural decisions when it comes to both AWS and serverless.
In fact, those that get the most from this workshop tend to have some experience with serverless technologies in AWS already. Because they often have specific questions or challenges they are facing, and I can help them address those questions/challenges during the workshop.
Trying to convince your manager to let you attend the workshop? I’ve created a customizable email template that you can use to prove the value of your attendance:
Dear [your manager's name],
I’d like your permission to attend this serverless workshop by Yan Cui, who is an AWS Serverless Hero and has several years of experience of actually running serverless applications in production with AWS Lambda at scale.
[insert URL of the workshop you want to attend]
The workshop is happening on [insert workshop date]. Attending this workshop will be beneficial to both my personal growth and our company’s cloud knowledge in the following areas:
- Boost proficiency in AWS's serverless offerings, like AWS Lambda, API Gateway, Cognito and EventBridge.
- Learn about the latest features of AWS Lambda such as Provisioned Concurrency and Lambda Destinations and when to use them.
- Get educated on architectural and operational best practices on topics such as CI/CD, security, testing, logging and monitoring.
- Gain valuable hands-on experience which I can bring back to my team and apply right away.
The cost for the workshop is [insert ticket price for the workshop you want to attend].
Hope to hear from you soon and many thanks in advance.
Learn to build Production-Ready Serverless applications
Want to learn how to build Serverless applications and follow best practices? Subscribe to my newsletter and join over 4,000 AWS & Serverless enthusiasts who have signed up already.