In my previous post I used the IObservable<T>.Zip extension method in the Drag-and-Drop example, which takes two observable collections and runs a function over them to return a new observable collection of potentially a different type.
But what if you just want to simply merge the two observable collections into one stream? Well, Rx API has another extension method called Merge. To use it you can either invoke it as extension method:
var zs = xs.Merge(ys);
or you can invoke it as static method on more than two observable collections:
var zs = Observable.Merge(xs, ys, us, vs);
To use the Merge method, all the observable collections being merged need to be of the same type.
There are two things you should keep in mind:
1. OnCompleted is fired on the composite observable collection (zs) at the point the last OnCompleted is fired on any of the merged observable collections:
2. OnError is fired on the composite observable collection (zs) at the point the first OnError is fired on any of the merged observable collections, any subsequent values on the merged observable collection will not make it onto the composite collection:
I’m an AWS Serverless Hero and the author of Production-Ready Serverless. I have run production workload at scale in AWS for nearly 10 years and I have been an architect or principal engineer with a variety of industries ranging from banking, e-commerce, sports streaming to mobile gaming. I currently work as an independent consultant focused on AWS and serverless.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong