There were a lot of good talks to pick from, but here are my top 3.
Simon Wardley : Why the Fuss about Serverless? (slides)
Admittedly I have seen various incarnations of this talk many times already but Simon keeps changing it up and honestly, there’s always more you can learn from Simon.
Anna Doubková : Gotchas in Serverless framework (slides)
Anna‘s talk is as practical as Simon‘s is inspirational. If you’re using the Serverless framework, then you need to watch this to see the limits you’ll likely run into in the near future. Many of these are not obvious at first sight, Anna‘s experience here can save you days of agony!
Danilo Poccia : Real-Time Serverless Back Ends with GraphQL (slides)
Siddharth Gupta wrote a very detailed article on building GraphQL APIs with AppSync and Lambda, it’s worth a read.
Like I said, there were many good talks to pick from and I couldn’t include everything on here. Here are a few other talks that I really enjoyed:
I also gave a shorter version of my talk “Serverless in production, an experience report” at JeffConf, and here are the recording and slides for that.
I’m an AWS Serverless Hero and the author of Production-Ready Serverless. I have run production workload at scale in AWS for nearly 10 years and I have been an architect or principal engineer with a variety of industries ranging from banking, e-commerce, sports streaming to mobile gaming. I currently work as an independent consultant focused on AWS and serverless.
Come learn about operational BEST PRACTICES for AWS Lambda: CI/CD, testing & debugging functions locally, logging, monitoring, distributed tracing, canary deployments, config management, authentication & authorization, VPC, security, error handling, and more.
You can also get 40% off the face price with the code ytcui.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong