Check out my new course Learn you some Lambda best practice for great good! and learn the best practices for performance, cost, security, resilience, observability and scalability.
Since I do a fair bit of performance tests on random things that pique my interest, it’s only natural that I should make the task of carrying out these tests easier for myself, so over the weekend I put together a simple, no frills framework to do just that!
The SimpleSpeedTester project is intended to make it easier to:
- time the execution of some code
- orchestrate multiple runs of the same test
- collate the execution time of the test runs
- provide an easy way to obtain summary for the tests
What it’s not
It’s not a profiler! It doesn’t tell you which line of your code is taking what percentage of your CPU time or how much memory is used where. It’s intended for one thing and one thing only – help you speed test a specific piece of code/method over multiple runs, collate the results and work out the average for you so you don’t have to.
To get started, download the binaries here, reference the SimpleSpeedTester.dll in your project, and all you need is one line of code to schedule a test to be run multiple times and get a summary of the test runs:
And you’re done! Easy, right? ;-)
I’ve included a couple more examples here covering the most common use cases, more will be added as I add more functionalities.
So what are you waiting for? Go on, download it and play around with it, let me know what you think, any constructive suggestions are very welcomed!
I specialise in rapidly transitioning teams to serverless and building production-ready services on AWS.
Are you struggling with serverless or need guidance on best practices? Do you want someone to review your architecture and help you avoid costly mistakes down the line? Whatever the case, I’m here to help.
Check out my new course, Learn you some Lambda best practice for great good! In this course, you will learn best practices for working with AWS Lambda in terms of performance, cost, security, scalability, resilience and observability. Enrol now and enjoy a special preorder price of £9.99 (~$13).
Are you working with Serverless and looking for expert training to level-up your skills? Or are you looking for a solid foundation to start from? Look no further, register for my Production-Ready Serverless workshop to learn how to build production-grade Serverless applications!
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong