Check out my new course Learn you some Lambda best practice for great good! and learn the best practices for performance, cost, security, resilience, observability and scalability.
If you enjoy reading these exercises then please buy Crista’s book to support her work.
Style 5 – Pipeline
Although Crista has called this the Pipeline style, you would recognize it as Functional Programming.
- Larger problem is decomposed using functional abstraction. Functions take input, and produce output
- No shared state between functions
- The larger problem is solved by composing functions one after the other, in a pipeline
Finally we’re able to write some idiomatic F# code!
The structure of the application is identical to that of the procedural style we explored in the last post. Except, this time around we’ll be passing data around as input and output, rather than global shared state.
and then to tie everything together:
You might notice that the above code is actually very similar to what we had in the procedural style. By removing the use of shared state our functions are now idempotent and provide better encapsulation.
Finally, compared to Crista’s solution in Python:
the beauty of F#’s pipes (|>) idiom really shone through.
You can find all the source code for this exercise here.
I specialise in rapidly transitioning teams to serverless and building production-ready services on AWS.
Are you struggling with serverless or need guidance on best practices? Do you want someone to review your architecture and help you avoid costly mistakes down the line? Whatever the case, I’m here to help.
Check out my new course, Learn you some Lambda best practice for great good! In this course, you will learn best practices for working with AWS Lambda in terms of performance, cost, security, scalability, resilience and observability. Enrol now and enjoy a special preorder price of £9.99 (~$13).
Are you working with Serverless and looking for expert training to level-up your skills? Or are you looking for a solid foundation to start from? Look no further, register for my Production-Ready Serverless workshop to learn how to build production-grade Serverless applications!
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong