Description for today’s challenge is here.
First, let’s encapsulate the three password requirements:
1) Passwords must include one increasing straight of at least three letters, like abc, bcd, cde, and so on, up to xyz. They cannot skip letters; abd doesn’t count.
2) Passwords may not contain the letters i, o, or l, as these letters can be mistaken for other characters and are therefore confusing.
3) Passwords must contain at least two different, non-overlapping pairs of letters, like aa, bb, or zz.
Any valid password would need to satisfy all three requirements:
Now that’s taken care of, let’s focus on the matter of increasing the password:
here we have broken up the logic into two smaller chunks:
- incrChar is responsible for return the incremented characters, and looping from ‘z’ to ‘a’
- incrAt increments the char at the specified index, and recurses to increment the next index if the aforementioned char loops around
Finally, let’s generate the sequence of all future passwords with an unfold, and find the first one that is a valid password:
Almost identical to Part 1, the only change is to skip the first valid password after the initial input:
I’m an AWS Serverless Hero and the author of Production-Ready Serverless. I have run production workload at scale in AWS for nearly 10 years and I have been an architect or principal engineer with a variety of industries ranging from banking, e-commerce, sports streaming to mobile gaming. I currently work as an independent consultant focused on AWS and serverless.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong