A while back, a client asked me “how can I share business logic between services in a Node.js monorepo?”. The TL;DR of it is:
- Encapsulate the shared business logic into modules, and put them in a separate folder.
- In the Lambda handler functions, reference the shared modules using relative paths.
- Use webpack to resolve and bundle them into the deployment package. If you use the Serverless framework, then check out the serverless-webpack plugin. For example:
- Deploy every service on every commit. You can do this with a simple script like the following.
But wait! How do I choose between having a monorepo vs a repo per service?
Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered for that too ;-) You can read about my thoughts on the two approaches here.
I specialise in rapidly transitioning teams to serverless and building production-ready services on AWS.
Are you struggling with serverless or need guidance on best practices? Do you want someone to review your architecture and help you avoid costly mistakes down the line? Whatever the case, I’m here to help.
Check out my new course, Complete Guide to AWS Step Functions. In this course, we’ll cover everything you need to know to use AWS Step Functions service effectively. Including basic concepts, HTTP and event triggers, activities, callbacks, nested workflows, design patterns and best practices.
Come learn about operational BEST PRACTICES for AWS Lambda: CI/CD, testing & debugging functions locally, logging, monitoring, distributed tracing, canary deployments, config management, authentication & authorization, VPC, security, error handling, and more.
You can also get 40% off the face price with the code ytcui.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong