Starting in the top left corner of a 2×2 grid, there are 6 routes (without backtracking) to the bottom right corner.
How many routes are there through a 20×20 grid?
let rec factorial(n:bigint) = if n <= 1I then 1I else n * factorial(n-1I) let combo n k = factorial(n) / (factorial(k) * factorial(n-k)) let answer = combo 40I 20I
It took me a while to figure out that this problem is actually a simple combination problem – consider a X by Y grid, any route from the top left to the bottom right corner without backtracking must have travelled Right X number of times and Down Y number of times. In the case of the original example:
RRDD, RDRD, RDDR, DRRD, DRDR, DDRR
This also means that all routes have a total of X + Y steps, and the number of routes is equal to the number of ways you can pick X number of R moves out of X + Y, i.e.
where n = X + Y and k = X.
I specialise in rapidly transitioning teams to serverless and building production-ready services on AWS.
Are you struggling with serverless or need guidance on best practices? Do you want someone to review your architecture and help you avoid costly mistakes down the line? Whatever the case, I’m here to help.
Check out my new course, Complete Guide to AWS Step Functions. In this course, we’ll cover everything you need to know to use AWS Step Functions service effectively. Including basic concepts, HTTP and event triggers, activities, callbacks, nested workflows, design patterns and best practices.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong