The Fibonacci sequence is defined by the recurrence relation:
Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2, where F1 = 1 and F2 = 1.
Hence the first 12 terms will be:
F1 = 1
F2 = 1
F3 = 2
F4 = 3
F5 = 5
F6 = 8
F7 = 13
F8 = 21
F9 = 34
F10 = 55
F11 = 89
F12 = 144
The 12th term, F12, is the first term to contain three digits.
What is the first term in the Fibonacci sequence to contain 1000 digits?
let fibonacciSeq = Seq.unfold (fun (current, next) -> Some(current, (next, current + next))) (0I, 1I) |> Seq.filter (fun f -> f > 0I) let answer = (Seq.findIndex (fun f -> f.ToString().Length >= 1000) fibonacciSeq) + 1
In my solution here I first created a Fibonacci sequence which starts with 1, 1, … all the way to infinity, and the second expression gives us the answer to the problem by using Seq.findIndex to find the index (zero-based) of the first element which contains 1000 digits. The ‘+ 1’ at the end simply converts the zero-based index to the one-based index which the problem is asking for.
I specialise in rapidly transitioning teams to serverless and building production-ready services on AWS.
Are you struggling with serverless or need guidance on best practices? Do you want someone to review your architecture and help you avoid costly mistakes down the line? Whatever the case, I’m here to help.
Check out my new course, Complete Guide to AWS Step Functions. In this course, we’ll cover everything you need to know to use AWS Step Functions service effectively. Including basic concepts, HTTP and event triggers, activities, callbacks, nested workflows, design patterns and best practices.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong