Consider the fraction, n/d, where n and d are positive integers. If n<d and HCF(n,d)=1, it is called a reduced proper fraction.
If we list the set of reduced proper fractions for d <= 8 in ascending order of size, we get:
1/8, 1/7, 1/6, 1/5, 1/4, 2/7, 1/3, 3/8, 2/5, 3/7, 1/2, 4/7, 3/5, 5/8, 2/3, 5/7, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 6/7, 7/8
It can be seen that there are 3 fractions between 1/3 and 1/2.
How many fractions lie between 1/3 and 1/2 in the sorted set of reduced proper fractions for d 12,000?
Note: The upper limit has been changed recently.
open System.Numerics // for each d, get the number of proper fractions that lie between 1/3 and 1/2 let getFractionsCount d = [1I..d-1I] |> Seq.skipWhile (fun n -> n * 3I <= d) |> Seq.takeWhile (fun n -> n * 2I < d) |> Seq.filter (fun n -> BigInteger.GreatestCommonDivisor(n, d) = 1I) |> Seq.length // ignoring 1-4, get the number of desired fractions for each dand add them up let answer = [4I..12000I] |> List.map getFractionsCount |> List.sum
I specialise in rapidly transitioning teams to serverless and building production-ready services on AWS.
Are you struggling with serverless or need guidance on best practices? Do you want someone to review your architecture and help you avoid costly mistakes down the line? Whatever the case, I’m here to help.
Check out my new course, Complete Guide to AWS Step Functions. In this course, we’ll cover everything you need to know to use AWS Step Functions service effectively. Including basic concepts, HTTP and event triggers, activities, callbacks, nested workflows, design patterns and best practices.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong