In the 5 by 5 matrix below, the minimal path sum from the top left to the bottom right, by only moving to the right and down, is indicated in bold red and is equal to 2427.
Find the minimal path sum, in matrix.txt (right click and ‘Save Link/Target As…’), a 31K text file containing a 80 by 80 matrix, from the top left to the bottom right by only moving right and down.
I took a similar approach to the one I used for problem 18 and iteratively work out what’s the shortest path sum leading up to each of the cells in the matrix.
Considering that a brute force approach will need to walk through the 80 x 80 matrix a total of 92045125813734238026462263037378063990076729140 times…so that’s clearly not an option! So instead, for each cell (x, y) in the matrix, we consider the two possibilities:
- the path has traversed down from cell (x-1, y)
the path has traversed right from cell (x, y-1)
the shortest path sum from top left to (x, y), let’s call it sps(x, y) will be equal to the lesser of sps(x-1, y) + (x, y) and sps(x, y-1) + (x, y). Obviously there are some special cases, such as when x = 0 and when y = 0, as you can see the different handling in the match pattern.
I specialise in rapidly transitioning teams to serverless and building production-ready services on AWS.
Are you struggling with serverless or need guidance on best practices? Do you want someone to review your architecture and help you avoid costly mistakes down the line? Whatever the case, I’m here to help.
Check out my new course, Complete Guide to AWS Step Functions. In this course, we’ll cover everything you need to know to use AWS Step Functions service effectively. Including basic concepts, HTTP and event triggers, activities, callbacks, nested workflows, design patterns and best practices.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong