I recently reorganized the SimpleSpeedTester project’s structure so that it’s easier to add tests to both the Json and binary serializer benchmarks, and to run the tests is as easy as running the RunBenchmarks.fsx F# script and then choosing which benchmark you’d like to run and then kick back and wait for the results to come back.
DISCLAIMER : as always, you should be benchmark against your payload and use case, the benchmark numbers I have produced here is unlikely to be representative of your use cases and neither is anybody else’s benchmark numbers.
- Filbert v0.2.0
- FluorineFx v1.2.4
- MsgPack v0.1.0.2011042300
- Json.Net v5.0.8
- protobuf-net v22.214.171.1248
System.Json has been added to the list of serializers thanks to Mauricio’s pull-request.
P.S. protobuf-net is NOT a JSON serializer, but it’s in the mix here simply as a benchmark since it’s one of the more widely used and fastest serializers around, and useful to compare the BSON serializers in the list.
- Json.Net v5.0.8
- fastJson v126.96.36.199
- MongoDB Driver v1.8.3
- System.Json (beta) 4.0.20126.16343
- JsonFx v2.0.1209.2802
- JayRock v0.9.16530
Since I started doing these benchmarks more than two years ago, I have been impressed by the way Json.Net upped its game since those early benchmarks! Long may the healthy competition lasts between these JSON serializer heavyweights so that rest of us can simply reap the benefits of the great work guys like Demis Bellot and James Newton-King are doing in providing essential tooling in this space!
I’m an AWS Serverless Hero and the author of Production-Ready Serverless. I have run production workload at scale in AWS for nearly 10 years and I have been an architect or principal engineer with a variety of industries ranging from banking, e-commerce, sports streaming to mobile gaming. I currently work as an independent consultant focused on AWS and serverless.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong