By listing the first six prime numbers: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and 13, we can see that the 6th prime is 13.
What is the 10001st prime number?
open System let findFactorsOf(n) = let upperBound = int32(Math.Sqrt(double(n))) [2..upperBound] |> Seq.filter (fun x -> n % x = 0) let isPrime(n) = findFactorsOf(n) |> Seq.length = 0 let primeNumbers = Seq.unfold (fun x -> Some(x, x + 1)) 2 |> Seq.filter isPrime let p = primeNumbers |> Seq.nth(10000)
Here I borrowed the findFactors and isPrime functions I first used in the problem 3 solution, except this time they don’t have to be constrained to work int64 types.
The rest of the solution’s pretty straight forward too, to find the 10001st prime number I first need to generate the sequence of all prime numbers. I did so by using Seq.unfold to generate the list of all natural numbers equal or greater than 2 (the first prime number), coupled with the isPrime predicate:
let primeNumbers = Seq.unfold (fun x -> Some(x, x + 1)) 2 |> Seq.filter isPrime
With the sequence of all prime numbers at hand, Seq.nth is used to find the element at the index position 10000 (sequences are zero-indexed like arrays, so this is actually the 10001st element in the sequence) to get our answer!
I’m an AWS Serverless Hero and the author of Production-Ready Serverless. I have run production workload at scale in AWS for nearly 10 years and I have been an architect or principal engineer with a variety of industries ranging from banking, e-commerce, sports streaming to mobile gaming. I currently work as an independent consultant focused on AWS and serverless.
Here is a complete list of all my posts on serverless and AWS Lambda. In the meantime, here are a few of my most popular blog posts.
- Lambda optimization tip – enable HTTP keep-alive
- You are thinking about serverless costs all wrong
- Many faced threats to Serverless security
- We can do better than percentile latencies
- I’m afraid you’re thinking about AWS Lambda cold starts all wrong
- Yubl’s road to Serverless
- AWS Lambda – should you have few monolithic functions or many single-purposed functions?
- AWS Lambda – compare coldstart time with different languages, memory and code sizes
- Guys, we’re doing pagination wrong